Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Bad Wine Followed by Bad Wine Pairing (My fault of course)

This evening, I had an interesting dinner. My brother had gone to visit my mother and she sent home a basket of pre-made garbanzo bean burritos. They are actually quite good, considering they are of the same garbanzo beans that are used in the typical salad as a toping that I love so much. Except, these beans are boiled and mashed the same way that refried beans are prepared.

Along with the garbanzo bean burrito’s we had gone to Albertson’s to purchase a pre-cooked rosemary and garlic rotisserie chicken and added a 2007 Sutter Home bottle of “Red” wine. I’ve tried this wine once before in my life, and I thought I had enjoyed it, but I was sorely mistaken. I opened the bottle as we were preparing the dinner, and I took a sip. The taste in which entered my mouth was utter disgust. “Is this the kind of wine hookers drink?” I said jokingly after tasting this wine. At times, I’ll enjoy a sweet wine like a Pinot Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Rieslings, or even a Gewurztraminers, but not that sweet. I wonder how I thought that particular "red" wine was EVER good.

Without hesitation, I poured the two glasses of wine that I poured back into the bottle and put it in the refrigerator. It would be best used for a Spanish Sangria cocktail, but I won’t drink this wine “as is”.

So, what did I drink instead? I went to the good stuff and opened one of my reserve bottles of a 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon from Eberle Winery. I always preach about what wines to drink with the correct foods, but often times, I don't practice what I preach. But this time, I have to agree my own wine pairing recommendation, because chicken and garbanzo bean burritos isn’t a preferable combination with Cabernet. Even I can make bad food and wine choices.

No comments: