Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wine of the Week: 2006 Obsidian Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon of Red Hills Lake County

2006 Obsidian Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Hills Lake County

This bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon was chosen for its immediate appeal. While I was on a tasting tour of assorted reds, this wine was on my second pour. I raised my hand and gestured to the bar tender to, “Stop right there. I’d like a full glass and a bottle to take home.”

This is an exceptional wine. Immediately from the pour, I knew it was going to be great from the sight of deep reds and plum color. I picked up the glass and I took a deep breath through my nose and took in the richness of plum, blackberries, and cinnamon aromas.

On the palate, it is even more exquisitely refreshing with tastes of ripened black cherry, juicy ripe plums, currants, and bold tannins that electrify the taste buds. While this wine is rich in fruit flavor, there are also tastes of earth which is rich from the very-much-alive, volcanic soil from the high appellations of Red Hills in Lake County. These mineral traits come through with hints of French oak and spicy white pepper.

While this wine may be enjoyed with an assortment of dishes, I implore you to enjoy it à la carte. This Cabernet deserves the utmost and complete attention by itself.

Pricing
When this vintage was introduced, it received an 89 point rating and retail price was introduced at around $45 per bottle. Due to the hardship of the current economy, the price has been reduced to around $25 per bottle.

1 comment:

toni said...

Congratulations on an excellent blog. You have done a great job at presenting interesting, original posts.